Recently, Las Vegas has been able to attract nearly 40 million people each year, and while those numbers dropped drastically during the COVID-19, they are starting to go up again as the world has reopened and pandemic numbers have dropped. Indeed, many people travel to Las Vegas for vacation or while attending business conferences. With so many people coming in and out of the city, someone is bound to be involved in some type of accident. But what if you are visiting? Below is some information for those who get hurt while visiting Nevada.
Getting Hurt in Las Vegas as a Visitor
All accidents are stressful, but especially those that occur while visiting another city like Las Vegas. Not only do you have to seek medical care at a hospital that you are likely completely unfamiliar with, but you then have to figure out how to get yourself back home while hurt. On top of this, you are then left having to determine if you can handle a legal claim for an injury that happened in Nevada from your home state. Generally, the jurisdiction that governs a personal injury case is the location where the accident happened, although there are some exceptions. As a non-local, below are some questions you should ask a personal injury attorney if you are hurt in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Does the firm handle cases for out-of-state accidents?
- How will you and I stay in contact about my case and how it proceeds?
- Do I have to travel to Las Vegas for medical treatment and, if so, who is ultimately responsible for these costs?
- Is there another jurisdiction that can handle my personal injury case?
- Will I need to travel to Nevada for any court proceedings or mediation?
- How should we exchange important documents that cannot be sent by email or fax?
How Long Personal Injury Lawsuits Take
A common question that is asked by accident victims is, “How long does a personal injury lawsuit take to resolve?” That answer, while dependent on the facts of the specific case, is usually “quite some time.” While many personal injury victims are eager to get a quick resolution because they need money now and want a sense of closure, a quick result is not always the best one. That being said, it is difficult to predict how long a lawsuit will take and when you will receive your monetary compensation. From when you first file a legal claim until you receive your settlement check can range from several months to a few years. There are several factors that come in to play affecting the length of your case from start to resolution including:
- The number of parties involved in the accident;
- The specific type of accident;
- The seriousness of the victim(s)’ injuries; and
- The amount of monetary compensation at issue.
Not surprisingly, the more severe a victim’s injuries, the more financial compensation they may be entitled to, resulting in the insurance company and its lawyers trying to minimize or downplay how the accident has impacted the victim’s day-to-day life.
We Can Help You
If you have been hurt while visiting Las Vegas for business or pleasure, contact H&P Law today. We can provide you with a no-obligation consultation to help you understand your rights under applicable law.