When someone passes away unexpectedly due to the fault of another, it can be one of the most difficult experiences that the decedent’s loved ones can go through. Losing someone to natural causes is difficult enough; losing them in a wrongful death is even worse. Surviving family members and loved ones are left with heavy feelings of anger, grief, and a need for justice on behalf of their loved one. While a Nevada wrongful death lawsuit cannot bring a loved one back, filing a claim may bring some closure and much needed financial damages during a difficult time.
Types of Wrongful Death Claims
Nevada wrongful death cases are allowed in Nevada when the neglectful or wrongful actions of one party leads to the death of another. These lawsuits can be filed by surviving family members of the deceased or the personal representative, according to Nevada law. Below are several examples of possible accidents that can result in a wrongful death cases:
- Car accidents: Vehicle crashes are one of the leading causes of injuries and deaths in the United States — and Nevada is no exception to this trend. When an accident takes the life of a victim, the at-fault party may be held responsible if it is possible to establish that the crash would not have occurred but for the at-fault party’s actions. Reckless driving, speeding, distracted driving, and aggressive driving are examples of negligent actions by drivers;
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents: When a pedestrian or cyclist is struck by a passenger vehicle, the survival rate is low. At-fault parties may include the drier of the motor vehicle or a different party such as the company responsible for traffic signal or sign maintenance;
- Medical malpractice cases: Medical mistakes are another leading cause of death in America, killing 250,000 people each year. Medical malpractice is the failure to exercise the standard of care that another medical professional of similar background and training would have in a similar situation;
- Premises liability: Property owners have a legal responsibility to keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition. If the owner’s failure to do so results in an accident that causes a death, the owner could be held responsible;
- Product liability: When a death happens as a result of using a product that was defective, the consumer can file a wrongful death claim against the manufacturer, retailer, or advertiser.
There are many other types of accidents that may result in a wrongful death. Under Nevada wrongful death law, Section 41.085, if the death of an accident victim is the result of the wrongful act of another, the personal representative and heirs of the deceased have a right to pursue a wrongful death action.
Nevada Wrongful Death Attorneys
If you have lost a loved one in an accident, the wrongful death lawyers at H&P Law can help you. Our attorneys understand how difficult and delicate these matters can be. We will approach your wrongful death case with the sensitivity and focus it deserves. Contact our Las Vegas or Henderson office today to schedule your initial case evaluation.