Each year, millions of Americans are killed or seriously injured in car accidents. These victims have short and long-term needs – medically, financially, property-wise, and psychologically – as a result of their injuries. Those who have been injured through no fault of their own are also entitled to monetary compensation for their losses. This includes economic damages such as lost wages and medical bills as well as non-economic damages such as pain and suffering.
Thankfully, an experienced personal injury attorney is willing and able to address an accident victim’s needs. A skilled attorney can speed up access to medical treatment, repairs to vehicles, or the process to replace property. A personal injury attorney will also know how to push for as much compensation as possible.
While many law firms may look the same after conducting a Google search, it is important to know that they are not. If you are in need of a Las Vegas personal injury attorney, be sure to dig deep and ask the right questions. Choosing the right legal counsel can be one of the most important decisions you can make.
The following tips will be helpful when deciding whom to use:
- Law firm specialty: Just like you would not see an eye doctor for back pain, you should partner with a law firm that has experience handling car accidents lawsuits in Nevada. While another lawyer may be competent in a different area of the law, he or she may not be knowledgeable in personal injury cases;
- Location, location, location: After suffering injuries as a result of a car accident or other injury, just getting from one place to another can be a burden. This is particularly true on days that you are feeling really bad. Consider using an attorney near you geographically or who, alternatively, is willing to meet you outside of the office;
- Size does matter: This is a subjective factor because there are pros and cons to large firms and small ones. Law firms with multiple lawyers often have access to lots of resources including private investigators, nurses, and reconstruction professionals. They also, however, delegate much of the work to paralegals. Smaller firms, on the other hand, may lack the resources but also handle your case with more care because an attorney is there every step of the way;
- Online presence: A lawyer and law firm’s online presence is important. Social media websites such as Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn and others are great sources of information. Past client reviews can be found on sites like AVVO, FindLaw, and Super Lawyers. Take this information with a grain of salt because a good or bad review can be easily posted on the internet in today’s online world without an authentic basis;
- Consider experience: In addition to the year a lawyer graduated from law school and passed the bar, it is important to know how long the attorney has been practicing in the area of law and what his or her record is regarding out-of-court settlements versus trials. All of these factors will help you better understand how the attorney will handle your case;
- Overall reputation: The stereotype of money-hungry ambulance chasing attorneys exists for a reason. Generally, these types of lawyers do not have a good reputation in the legal community with other lawyers, judges, insurance companies, and even jurors. Avoid these attorneys at all costs.
We Can Help
If you have suffered a personal injury in Nevada, or know someone who has, contact Las Vegas-based Matt Pfau Law Group today.