Injuries resulting from stairway-related accidents result in thousands of dollars in damages for victims. These injuries can happen in many ways including faulty steps, broken stairs, uneven surfaces, or loose handrails. Finding and proving who is at fault for a Las Vegas stair-related accident can be difficult. The experienced personal injury attorneys at H&P Law can help fight for the monetary compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Stair Accidents
It is a common misconception that the reason why people experience stair accidents and resulting injuries is simply that they are clumsy. Many accident victims assume it is their own fault for falling and do not seek legal help for harm suffered. In fact, a majority of staircase accidents and injuries are because of the negligence of property owners and managers. Examples of negligent upkeep by property owners and managers that can result in serious injuries to someone visiting the property include:
- Poor lighting, including broken or dim lighting in entryways and stairwells;
- Slippery surfaces and wet floors that do not have a caution sign to warn others;
- Loose or faulty handrails, or no handrails in place at all;
- Uneven steps throughout or on part of the stairway;
- Improper height and length of stair steps that are in violation of building codes;
- Deterioration from the elements, such as worn down wood staircases or metal handles that are rusty and oxidized.
These staircase accidents can happen almost anywhere you are visiting, from a private home to government property to a commercial business. The most common places where staircase accidents happen in Las Vegas include: hotels, casinos, restaurants, apartment buildings, and condominium complexes.
Damages Available to You
The premises liability attorneys H&P Law know that improperly maintained properties, including unsafe stairways, can result in hard falls that can cause significant injuries. Sometimes these can be life-threatening injuries and can result in a decreased quality of life. An injured victim can claim for the following damages in Nevada:
- Injuries: The more significant, severe, or permanent the physical harm you suffered, the more monetary compensation you are entitled to;
- Medical bills: Compensation for medical expenses such as diagnostic testing, X-rays, MRIs, emergency room visits, and follow up doctors visits, among others;
- Lost wages: Your injuries may have caused you to miss work, resulting in a loss of income;
- Emotional distress: Commonly referred to as “pain and suffering,” this compensation pays for additional harm suffered above and beyond your physical injuries;
- Out-of-pocket costs: Any expenses you have had to pay as a result of your injury are compensable damages;
- Future medical treatment: The injuries you incurred may require continued treatment long after the accident, and these expenses are also compensable.
Getting Legal Help for Your Nevada Stairs Accident
At H&P Law, our premises liability attorneys have extensive experience helping those who have suffered an injury in Nevada. With offices conveniently located in Las Vegas and Henderson, our skilled lawyers will fight for the best outcome for your case. Contact us today for your initial case evaluation.