It is true that motorcycle crashes can happen anywhere. Unfortunately, these accidents can be serious and devastating. This is because motorcycle riders have little to no physical protection from other vehicles and the road. Motorcyclists often end up with catastrophic and serious injuries. These may include traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord issues, broken bones, and severe road rash. These injuries can happen even if the rider is using proper safety equipment, including a helmet.
According to a recent study performed by the Governor’s Highway Safety Association (“GHSA”), Nevada ranked number one in motorcycle accident-related deaths in 2017. Many of these fatalities happened within Las Vegas city limits. And historically, the number of deaths related to motorcycle accidents has been on the rise. There are many factors that can be attributable to motorcycle accidents in Las Vegas, Nevada such as:
- Risky behaviors: It is common for those in Las Vegas, even those driving vehicles or motorcycles, to be in the city to have fun and cut loose. For this reason, many motorcyclists are more likely to engage in risky and dangerous behaviors — speeding, lane changing, driving in the center line — which increase the chances of a crash.
- Drunk driving: Nevada has seen a steady rise in driving under the influence since 2012. Motorcyclists who drive inebriated may make impusilve driving decisions, have trouble controlling their bikes, and other maneuvers that make it difficult for the biker and other vehicles to keep safe.
- Distraction: It is no surprise that Las Vegas offers a vast amount of distractions for visitors to the city. It can be difficult to focus on the road when there are things to look at on every street corner and neon lights are flashing everywhere. If drivers do not keep track of their surroundings and focus on the road when operating a vehicle or a motorcycle, an accident is likely to happen.
Decreasing Your Risk
There are many things that motorcyclists can do to decrease the risk of an accident. While they cannot control the actions of other drivers, nor avoid every possible accident, they can take steps to keep themselves safe on Nevada’s roads, such as:
- Always wearing safety gear when riding;
- Never riding under the influence of alcohol or drugs (including prescription);
- Keeping your eyes and focus on the road;
- Keeping your hands on the bike’s controls at all times;
- Always following traffic rules of the road;
- Avoiding other drivers who are behaving erratically or recklessly.
Finally, it is not uncommon for people to go out for a drink or two, and extend their night out for longer than anticipated. Thankfully, Las Vegas — like most major cities in the United States — has plenty of options for safe rides back home, from Uber to Lyft to Taxis, or even walking. You should never ride your motorcycle while under the influence. Instead, leave your vehicle or bike where it is and come back the next day once you are sober. One bad decision can have permanent consequences for all involved in a crash.
Las Vegas Personal Injury Lawyers
If you are hurt in a Las Vegas motorcycle accident, the personal injury attorneys at H&P Law can explain your rights and obligations under the law. We will fight to seek the compensation you deserve. Contact our Henderson or Las Vegas office today to speak with a lawyer.