Now that the country has reopened, many of us are probably running errands if we are not at home. A quick trip to the grocery store, pharmacy, or bank is often essential. While there are more people and cars out than there were in 2020, the traffic is still lighter than before. You may think you can get to your destination a lot faster and that is probably true. You may also think that you are less likely to be involved in an accident. The real truth, however, is that parking lots can be just as prone — and sometimes even more prone — to accidents than roads or highways.
What to Do After a Parking Lot Car Accident
If you are involved in a parking lot accident, there are several steps that you should take. It is important that you take the below steps, even if you think the accident was not a serious one, in order to protect your rights in the long-term.
- Dial 9-1-1. This is especially true if you or the other driver has sustained injuries. Anyone involved in the accident, including passengers and bystanders, should get professional medical help;
- Move Somewhere Safe. If you are in a parking lot, hopefully others are not driving fast and will see the crash. If you happen to be blocking traffic, move your vehicle to a safe place nearby;
- Contact Law Enforcement. Even if no one is apparently hurt, you should call the police. This is because your car insurance company — as well as that of the other driver — may require a police report in order to file an insurance claim. The policy may not come if no one is obviously injured;
- Gather Information. Try to collect as much information as possible related to the collision including the: other driver’s address and phone number as well as insurance company name and policy number, photographs and videos of the accident scene, the license plate number of the other car, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses;
- Contact a Lawyer. An experienced Nevada personal injury lawyer will be able to help you through the process of filing an insurance claim and obtaining the best possible result.
Being involved in a car accident — whether in a parking lot, on the road, or on the highway — can be scary. Aside from the inconvenience of property damage, you may ensure significant medical expenses as well as lost wages. The experience of filing an insurance can be overwhelming and you may have more pressing issues to deal with than fighting with an insurance company.
We Can Help You
If you or someone you care about has been involved in a parking lot accident, or any other type of accident, in Nevada contact the skilled attorneys at H&P Law. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will help protect your rights under the law. We know how to handle all types of accidents and can resolve your case without or without going to trial.