When someone suffers injuries from a slip and fall accident, the results can be life-altering. Having suffered in a slip and fall accident can negatively affect a person’s ability to remain active, return to work, enjoy hobbies, and even perform their activities of daily living. As a result, monetary compensation awarded to an injured plaintiff in a slip and fall accident can be significant. Below are five of the largest slip and fall accident lawsuit settlement amounts and details as to why.
- $15 million Settlement for Fall from Examination Table (Georgia): A Georgia truck driver went to a clinic for a physical, which required bloodwork. The clinic employee instructed the truck driver to sit on the examination table while his blood was being drawn. Once she finished, she turned away to reach for a bandage and the truck driver passed out, fell forward, and broke his neck. The truck driver was left paralyzed and unable to perform his activities of daily living due to his injuries.
- $13 Million Settlement for Slip and Fall at Lowes Home Center (Nevada): A woman slipped and fell on a wet substance while shopping, and there were no warning signs in plain sight. She suffered significant injuries including a skull fracture, brain hemorrhage, neck pain, chronic headaches, and mental health issues.
- $12.2 Million Settlement for Gas Station Convenience Store Slip and Fall (Virginia): A woman slipped and fell after stepping on a puddle near the front entrance of a gas station convenience store that was caused by a leaking awning. The woman fell forward, landing on her chest and chin and suffering a brain injury with resulting seizures, which caused her to be unable to continue working.
- $10 Million Settlement for Walmart Slip & Fall (Colorado): A woman slipped and fell on a grease spill in a Walmart and was awarded maximum damages under state law, despite Walmart’s denial of fault, because of evidence provided in the case.
- $7.5 Million Settlement for Walmart Trip & Fall (Alabama): A man tripped in a Walmart grocery store while reaching for produce, falling into and becoming stuck in a wooden pallet and breaking his hip. The pallet was under the produce and no signs were posted warning patrons.
Average Personal Injury Settlements
The amount a personal injury victim can recover from an accident depends greatly on the circumstances of the specific case. In most Nevada personal injury cases, the average settlement is much lower than those listed above, closer to between $10,000 and $50,000. This is because there are several factors that go into valuing a case, including the damages suffered (both economic and non-economic), the seriousness of those damages, and whether a punitive award is appropriate.
The length of time it takes to resolve a personal injury case also varies, and can range between a few months to a few years.
Our Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help
The experienced personal injury lawyers at H&P Law handle premises liability and other cases for victims across Nevada. We will take all of the steps needed to get the best result based on the facts and law applicable to your case. If you or someone you know has been hurt due to the fault or negligence of another, contact us today for your initial case evaluation.